How to Localize a Video with Voice Over and Subtitle Burning
You have a video you want to localize into another language that needs voiceover as well as subtitles. VideoLocalize can help you with that, but you’re not sure how to get started. Below are the main steps with general instructions on what to do. Let’s get started!
- First, sign up or login into your VideoLocalize account.
- You will be taken to “My Projects” page. Choose a project from your “My Projects” list or create a project by clicking on the “Create Project” button.
- After creating a project, you need to create a job. Click on the “Add Job” button and you will be taken to the “Create Job” page. Upload your video, type in a title for the video, select the source and target languages, and click “Create”.
- Once the video is uploaded, you will see the Transcription / Timing page. If you have a script, upload it by clicking on “Manage Transcription” arrow to select your file. If you don’t have a script, click on “Machine Transcribe” button to get a machine generated script or order a paid transcription with “Human Transcription”. Once the script is uploaded, you will see the text populate on the screen into short segments. You can then review and edit the transcript to ensure its accuracy prior to translation.
There is no ‘save’ button because the system automatically saves your work every few minutes, so you don’t need to worry about it.
- After the transcription is completed and verified, click “Translation” at the top of the page. At this stage, you can translate the text directly in the translation field provided under each segment. Or, if you already have the script translated, simply upload your translated script by clicking on “Manage Translation” at the top and choosing “Upload Translation” from the pull-down menu. A third option is to get it machine-translated by either Google or Microsoft or order a human translation.
- Next, click on “Voiceover” to move to the recording stage. There are 2 types of voiceover: machine-generated using the latest Text-to-Speech (TTS) technology or a human voiceover artist. For an instant recording, click on “Text-to-Speech” at the top of the page. A small list of natural sounding voices is available for you to choose from. Or you can choose to use a human voiceover to do the recording by clicking on “Human Voiceover”. The human voiceover option will require some time as a professional voiceover artist will need to do the recording first.
- Once the voiceover recording is ready, click on “Sync/Mixing” at the top navigation bar. On this page, before synching, drag and drop any background music and / or sound effects files into the appropriate boxes. Click on “Magic Sync” button to synchronize the audio recording, sound files and the video. When synchronization is completed, you can take a look at your localized video.
It’s always best to review your video after synchronization is completed, before downloading the video.
- To burn the subtitles into the video, click on “Subtitle” at the top. Review the text segments for typos, punctuation and spelling errors, as well as the format of certain types of text (e.g. urls, abbreviations, etc.). When the subtitle text is finalized, click on the “Burn In Subtitles” button at the top. You can then select some basic subtitle settings, and click “Start”. After subtitles have been burned in, you can watch the video to the left of the screen, and check the placement of the subtitles. Once you are satisfied with the results, you are ready to download the final video. Click on the “Download Center” button at the top right corner.
- You are now in the Download Center page. Under the “Video & Audio” tab, there are three versions of the localized video:
- Video with voiceover
- Video with voiceover and subtitles
- Video with subtitles
Click on the ”Export Now” button next to the video you want to download.
- You will be taken to the “Recent Exported Videos” page, and you will see the status displaying “Processing”. Once it’s finished processing and exporting your video, the “Download” button will be enabled and you can then download your video.
Get in touch today to learn more. Someone from our team will reach out to answer your questions.